Just before the finish line!

wpid-2014-12-14-13.35.19.jpg.jpeg        wpid-2014-12-14-13.36.17.jpg.jpeg

Phew! That was a mad dash but it’s finally finished. I wanted the Christmas quilt to have at least 2 weeks use. That’s two weeks of getting chocolate, mince pies, coffee and whatever else all over it before the first week of January. My fault I shouldn’t have picked white triangles really (but my living room is dark so I wanted to brighten it up a bit).

I’d been collecting fat quarters of Christmas fabric since July. I would have liked a better variety and some that I bought (online again) had massive prints damn it so I couldn’t use them at all.

wpid-20141217_132225.jpg

“Ghosts of Christmas future”

 

This pattern come form the great blog, Mommy by day, crafter by night. I’m always on this website , there are so many things I want to make. So many things not enough time. Anyways you can find the link here. http://www.mommybydaycrafterbynight.com/2012/12/isosceles-triangle-quilt-along-making.html

wpid-2014-12-14-13.37.02.jpg.jpeg

Man if I ever needed a proper triangle to cut my fabric out this was the quilt. My local shops didn’t have the right triangle and I couldn’t be bothered ordering it online because I a) wanted to get cracking and I would have to wait a few days for it to arrive and b) lets not forget I’m a tight arse. I’m crap at maths so Mr Mastermind made me a template out of an old cardboard box.

All cheer the homemade template!

All cheer the homemade template!

This worked for a bit and then it didn’t. As I cut the fabric I managed to shave a very small bits off the sides. There are irregularities in the sizes of the triangle which you can see as they don’t line up properly all the way through. To be honest I’m not too sure how it didn’t end up worse really…silver linings.

The quilting itself was not enjoyable. as usual, I get bored easily. Who would have known straight lines would be challenging? But after fixing wonky lines it looks presentable.

For the backing, keeping in mind that I’m always trying to save cash. I used Rockette’s H&M duvet cover from her toddler bed. It wasn’t great to sew with, it was quite rigid and the needle seemed to get stuck in it (either that or my crap sewing skills).

Whatever it was I did break about 4 needles and the thread kept randomly coming out of the needle. All in all my machine wasn’t really happy with all of this. But it still looks good and it didn’t cost me anything. The duvet was too small though so I used one of the FQ’s with the large print and all my scraps to make up the gap.

wpid-20141214_124317.jpg

The zigzag binding was not as complicated as it first looks, it was pretty easy for me and I winged it and got it done in no time really (considering I was coming down with some vile head cold) just remember to make a small fold in every corner. I love the effect.

It’s a fun easy make if you’re not trying to rush it. If I ever made another one I would start it in September..

wpid-20141214_125224.jpg

I have no time to make the cushions I wanted. I’ll make them in the summer.

 

Short and sweet today, still working on my best of albums of 2014 it will appear before NYE, it’s on my list of things to do alongside all of the baking and buying a tablecloth.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Just before the finish line!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s