The hacked skirt

 

20160117_143818.jpg

I feel like calling this a peasant skirt as I’m sure this is how my grandmother probably constructed skirts in the 50s cause they were too poor to buy stuff. But that wasn’t the origins for this creation. I ripped this off from my Cath Kidson skirt that I bought 2 years ago. Every time I wear these I always get compliments, even once during an interview.

It looked like a simple construction, two square pieces sewn together with pockets inserted then gather the top held together on top with a coloured elastic band. No problems. I had bought 2 different  kinds of Riley Blake fabrics at least two years ago, it has taken that long  for me to make this.

20160110_170227.jpg

Finally with steely determination and the confidence that I could do it in a few hours I embarked. I used a pattern from a chambray skirt I made, inserted the pockets and gathered it. It was looking goods albeit a bit massive, a bit size 16 which I thought would sort itself out once I put the elastic on.

 

20160110_193623.jpg

Thus began a painful two days of why the fuc£ is this happening?? The gathering was unravelling, and falling out and it was one of those things where I just made it a whole world worse by trying to sew over the top of it to secure it. That didn’t stop it from unravelling so, I SEWED IT OVER AGAIN. By this stage it was a massive mess of fraying, different size stitches. I should have stopped and thought about it. When I did sew the elastic on, the skirt it was so fluffy it made me look enormous, there was way too much fabric.

An hour of unpicking later I left it for 2 days to rethink the whole sorry affair. In the end I cut off about 20 cm from one side and re sew the pocket, but the elastic was evil, there was no stretch. I left it again.

20160117_085228.jpg

Finally decided that I would place the top of the fabric as far down to the bottom of the elastic as possible and stretch it a bit while I sewed it on, it seemed to work, Still putting over my head when I want to wear it. Im going to try it again with some french man fabric to see if I can make it a bit better.

 

20160117_143849.jpg 20160117_143826.jpg

Advertisements

Farewell Thin White Duke

 

For  all the hours  I spent learning to play guitar along to your albums

For all the rotations of the turntable,  for all the clicks of the ipods and all the twists of cassette tapes

For all the sing-alongs wether in the kitchen, the car, the shower, in public at bars or arm in arm in the second row of your concert

For all the hours watching your music videos

For all of the hours spent digging through vinyl bins at record fairs for decent copies of your LP’s

For all the hours in darkened rooms with headphones immersed in and amazed by your music

For going out with boys because they looked like Bowie during the low era

For all the spins on the dance floor

For the lullabies I sang in replacement of traditional fare

For that costume in the Labyrinth

For Ziggy & The Thin White Duke.

Thankyou.

 

 

 

 

this is the dress your looking for.

20160106_134630.jpg

After the excitement of my shop launch, it’s all back to business on this blog. Im hardly writing at the moment and when I do it appears to be about Star Wars craft, it’s not going to end I’m afraid as I’ll probably put up some more stuff up later January. Its all Star Wars fever aglow here .

Ages ago I bought Rockette some Star Wars fabric with a view to make a dress for Christmas. I had the idea of a jersey top because all of her favourite dresses are jersey based with this medium weight cotton skirt. But as December approached I still didn’t have any jersey and not having actually sewn with it before, I was scared…. so I cheated.

1 Cheap plain black top from Next and half a meter of fabric later and it was pretty straight forward. I found quite a few tutorials on pintrest but all I did was use one of Rockettes dresses for the sizing and cut the top to the same size as the bodice

.20151219_074835.jpg

20151219_075121.jpg

 

Then I used the full half meter length, cut it in half and then sewed the seams together using a french seam as I hate raw edge’s. I made a gathering stitch along the top.

20151219_075304.jpg

This is where I stopped taking photos. It was 11pm and the light in my front room is bad for any kind of photography. I slipped the jersey top head down and joined the two together.

It lacked the shape I was after. I then sewed a thin elastic on top of the seam, which did improve things. But next time I make this I’ll try it with stay tape or bikini tape to make it more lightweight. Med weight cotton and the elastic together made it a bit more bulkier than I would have liked.

20160106_135049.jpg

I would have liked a much more defined gather. I thought I had done enough to give it a good gather and make it “fluffy” but I think I lost a lot of it when I sewed the bodice to the skirt. Next time….

20160106_134803.jpg

To finish I wanted a cute little pixie collar. All I did was draft the shape on some tracing paper, (including the seam allowance) cut out 4 pieces and 2 bits of interfacing . After sewing then together I left the end at the shoulders open, then tried to fold them neatly under & top stitched. I attached it with a running stitch to the top (running/ slip stitch on the back) . I tried to be lazy and do this with a machine but it turned out awful.

20160106_134727.jpg

She was happy she wore it on boxing day and it held together (except the collar which needed resewing).

Thanks for everyone who had a look at my new online shop last week! it’s been great and have had some amazing feedback from some well respected pattern makers, it’s been thrilling. The highlight was the nod from Colette patterns. If you still haven’t had a sqizz come have a look !

www.thecraftymastermind.co.uk

 

Screen shot 2016-01-08 at 10.34.47